Sunday, July 6, 2014

Vintage Disneyland Grad Night Posters

One of things that fascinates me about Disney is how, for so many, it has become interwoven with collective notions associated with American childhood and coming of age.  Sometimes, I wish I could get in a time machine set for 2006, write American Studies instead of Sociology on the declare major do-hicky, and then write my thesis on this very topic.

For Southern Californians, one such pivotal event is Disneyland Grad Night.  Started in 1961 and continuing to this day, the event provides a safe environment for high-school grads to spend graduation evening.  I think it is a super groovy tradition, and I wanted to share some super groovy vintage posters from the event I came across!  I think they are just so neat… they solicit from me a peculiar nostalgia for a time I never experienced.  The one from '71 with the stylized line drawing of the park map really appeals to me for some reason.

1968

1969

1970
1971
1971
Which is your favorite? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment