Sunday, June 15, 2014

Little Mermaid's Island!

Although Disney acquired the Muppets in 2004,  the companies' association began long before that.  In fact, Disney came very close to cutting a deal with Jim Henson in 1990.  Unfortunately, Jim passed before the deal was made and thus, Disney and the Muppets parted ways for nearly 15 years.

There were a few things that came of this fleeting relationship between the two creative giants, my very favorite being a pilot for a puppet version of a Little Mermaid television show!  The show was to be called Little Mermaid's Island, and this is all that exists of it on youtube:


What I want to know is how this video only has around 10,000 views!?!  The existence of this concept came to my attention whilst listening to a Disney Dish with Jim Hill episode (where I get all my really good behind the scenes Disney information, sorry Lou Mongello).  Being a huge fan of Jim Henson's non-Muppets body of work, it breaks my heart that this was not made.  Henson's creations have this sweetness and charm to them that is totally unique, and this brief glimpse is no exception.  My short term life goal is to acquire the full episode, which I will of course post when and if I am able!

1 comment: