Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Animation Academy at California Adventure!

One of my favorite things about Disney Parks is that no matter how many times you go, there will always be new things to discover that may suddenly become your new favorite thing! On this past trip, the Animation Academy was that for Ryan, my travel partner in crime, and I.

In this experience, guests are given the opportunity to learn how to sketch different Disney and Pixar characters in short (about 15 minutes or so) lessons taught by a Disney cast member. Lessons are taught in a college-style lecture hall decorated to look like an animators office:

Our cast member was Kylie, who was sooo cool.

As the cast member draws at the desk, their movements are filmed and played on the white projection screen to the right (in the style of How to Draw with Mark Kistler). Apparently, there is a rotating roster of characters that can be taught. Ryan and I had such a good times drawing Minnie that we came back for Piglet, Sully, and Olaf! These were my attempts:





What was really cool was that as I peaked around at other people's drawings, everyone's was different even though we were all drawing the same characters. A lot of people threw theirs away on the way out and I would love to grab them out of the trash can next time like a creep and check out all the different interpretations!

Anyway, this attraction reminded me that sometimes the best way to experience the parks is without a map and agenda, going with the flow and generally exploring.

Have you ever experienced any hidden gems at the parks? Tell me about it in the comments or on the Facebook page!

No comments:

Post a Comment