Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Woman Crush Wednesday!: Kickass Concept Artist Mary Blair

In general, the Disney Studios in the 1950s were not a place where women excelled. Although they did work for the studio, they rarely received the opportunity to use their creativity, being relegated instead to meticulous and tedious work in the ink and paint department.

There was, however, a handful of exceptional women who flourished against the odds, my favorite of which is Mary Blair. Known for her highly evolved intuition for color, her influence is obvious in the backgrounds of such beloved classics as Alice in Wonderland, Cinderella, and my most favorite of all time, Peter Pan.

Below is some of Blair's concept art for Peter Pan that beautifully illustrate her distinctive style, which I find to be child-like and charming without loosing any tightness. I think they are all just lovely, but my affinity for pink-ness and mermaids makes the last my favorite. Please enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment